I'm Not For Me

I'm Not For Me

10.02.2012

Colossians 3:23-24

Hello again.

First of all, all the melted cheese in my tortilla and cheese just fell out.

Down to business.  I know this is rather soon to be putting up another post, but I thought it would be good to give you a taste of what you're in for.

A darling friend (you know who you are;) included a verse in a card she just sent me.  Yes, I said card as in paper that you write on and send through the mail with a ridiculously priced stamp.

In this card, I found Colossians 3:23 and I'll supply you with verse 24 too.  "Whatever you do, work at it with all your heart as working for the Lord, not for human masters,  since you know that you will receive an inheritance from the Lord as a reward. It is the Lord Christ you are serving."  

Say we start with our premise that  our lives really aren't for ourselves.  You might reply, "YES" with great exuberance.  Or you might be thinking (like me), "I know that my life is the Lord's although I act like I never remember it... "  Those who answered "YES" can leave now.   I'm only going to talk to those who have a hard time with their motives.  Wait.. why are you all still hanging around?  


Colossians 3:23-24 is speaking to our very problem!  We might be afraid to act or we might act selfishly because we are living for ourselves.  God wants to fix all of that.  He wants us to live for Him.  "Whatever you do, work at it with all your heart as working for the Lord."  When we place our heart in His hands, we are guaranteed success.  We will lift our faces up to the Lord and get our hands dirty.  He fills up our hearts with every good thing when we do all things in the hope of pleasing Him.  Our feeble little acts could please the LORD of the universe.

Most of us know the Ten Commandments.  We could listen to our consciences and know right from wrong.  But we don't follow God's law.  And we don't stop doing ugly deeds.  All we can comprehend in the moment is our small selves.  We forget God's grace, love, peace, patience, kindness, goodness, gentleness.... Those things give us true joy!  If we work in light of these things, we receive joy!  Who wants laziness now?  I challenge you to pick up that Algebra homework (as I will do now:) and do it because "it is the Lord Christ you are serving."  Oh yeah, you heard me right.  You can serve because the perfect Savior of the world served by living out the greatest love on a cross.  Being a student is the work your Heavenly Father has placed in your hands right now. 

Please read Colossians again.  Did God's words inspire you?  This is the Spirit speaking to you.  

Don't let those October blues get you down.  Jesus Christ is what it's all about.

Love,
Sarah