I'm Not For Me

I'm Not For Me

10.09.2012

Habakkuk 3:17-19

Hello, hello!

   It's a beautiful fall day here in Vermont!  The mountains are painted with brilliant reds, cool yellows and iridescent oranges.  You really should head over for a visit during this ridiculously priced foliage season.  Mhm.

As much as relaxing tree watching can be, Habakkuk 3:17-18 is pretty amazing too.  Straight to the Word we go!


   "I will take joy in the God of my salvation. The Lord God is my strength, and he will make my feet like hinds' feet, and he will make me to walk upon mine high places.

     Here's a nice little bit.  Concerning the first sentence: how might you find joy in your Savior this week?  Maybe in His creation, in His people... I challenge you to make a way in the next few days.   Why not say with the Psalmist that my cup overflows when God is taking such good care of you?  Life might be hard at this moment, for a million different reasons, but God is shaping you to do hard things - to be able to walk on the high, rocky and maybe even dangerous places. 
    
     Now, if any of you out there have been paying more attention than I am, you might realize that I have only laid before us the last part of the text!  The nerve I must have!  I'll guess I'll supply you with the context too, if you're really begging...
   
  "Though the fig tree should not blossom, nor fruit be on the vines, the produce of the olive fail and the fields yield no food, the flock be cut off from the fold and there be no herd in the stalls, yet I will rejoice in the Lord;"

     BAM.  If you have nothing to eat, nothing to earn money from and no promising future, will you still rejoice in the Lord?  Okay, that wasn't fair.   I can easily say that I wouldn't.  Much too easily.  We should yearn to become so dependent on the Lord that we need nothing else except Him in our situations.  No one else to cause us to rejoice.  He is the only one in who we can safely place all our trust.   There is no one else who is a constant source of all things good.  What response can we give to our Father except rejoicing?  

   October is a time where we're getting discouraged, grades might be falling or those around us get grouchy.  We should still be rejoicing in the source of our hope and our salvation.  When you focus on the LORD, He will carry you through dark valleys.  I'm not saying you should do this so that you're a good person.  I'm reminding myself and you that Jesus Christ makes our souls sing and in Him is all the fulfillment we will ever need. 
  
     I humbly thank you for taking time out of your busy day and heading over to my little neck of the blogosphere.  I hope these verses lead you to prayer, because there's no better outcome. 

Love,
Sarah